Thurs., Nov. 28, 2019, Thanksgiving morning, brings together people and pets to participate in a timed 5k or 1.7 mile fun run/walk. The event is produced by Junction 311 Endurance Sports with proceeds benefiting Say Yes Guilford.
Say Yes Guilford is dedicated to providing access to support services and scholarships designed to prepare Guilford County Schools’ students for success in college, career, and life…students like Neikya Slade.
“I wanted to help people: a doctor, a firefighter a social worker,” Neikya recalls of her childhood. She remembers standing by her grandmother’s side volunteering, giving back to her hometown. “Learning about the social work program (at N.C. A&T), I knew I wanted to be a social worker.” Neikya worked hard in school, graduating from the Middle College at Bennett in 2016, dreaming of a college degree and the career path that provided.
Thanks to federal aid and a Say Yes grant, her tuition and many of her expenses were covered.
That was 2016; three years later Neikya is an NC A&T graduate. She is working on her master’s degree, bought a house and is getting married. “I’m really happy. I’m right here. I can touch it. I can feel the changes that I’m going to be making in other people’s lives.”
When you Run for the Turkeys, you run for Neikya and thousands of Guilford County Schools students like her. Students in every GCS school. Students from every background. Students with big dreams. Run for the Turkeys and run for Say Yes Guilford.
Event sponsors and partners include Fleet Feet Greensboro, Sprouts Farmers Market, Elizabeth Dewey MD Family Medicine, Riccobene Associates Family Dentistry, Good Health Greensboro, Texas Roadhouse, Downtown Fitness on Elm and Northwood Animal Hospital.
- Races: Running of the Turkeys 5k run/walk ; Running of the Turkey’s family walk
- Date: Thursday November 28, 2019
- Location: Jaycee Park,3802 Jaycee Park Dr,, Greensboro, North Carolina
- Time: 8:30 Family Fun Walk; 9:15 5k Run/Walk
- Attendance: As of press date, 11/25, registration is nearly 1200, with the event cap at 1400. Registration will remain open online through 5am 11/27/19. Walk up registration available at early packet pick up and race day as space remains.
- Charity Partner: Say YES Guilford
- Race participants receive:
- 5k participants receive:
Custom Turkey Hat, chip timed event, awards for top 3 overall and age group finishers, long sleeve shirt (while supplies remain), free event photos
- Fun Run/Walk receive:
Custom Turkey hat, untimed event. Add long sleeve shirt for $5 additional, free event photos
Read the Yes Weekly story here.